Melbourne Cup


My first experience of the Melbourne Cup:


'The race that stops the nation' 


I had heard of the Melbourne Cup before I came to Australia. However I certainly did not realise the sheer scale and importance of this race. 
I had been told that the race was the equivalent of the grand national back at home in the UK. Now I have experienced this day I can certainly say it is completely different.

The Melbourne cup isn't just a race, it's a huge social event. In Melbourne only, the day is classed as a bank holiday but all states within Australia celebrate.

The first ever race was held in 1861 at Flemington racecourse, since then it's been held on the first Tuesday in November at 3pm every year. In racing it's the worlds richest two mile handicap and is one of the richest turf races.


Anyhow back to the day ...



Fortunately for me I was invited to lunch with the company I'm going to be working for. There definitely was not a better way to meet my new colleagues!





The lunch was held at the Dee Why hotel. In preparation for the race, television screens had been installed aswell as a betting area!



I was treated to a delicious three course meal, washed down with some lovely champagne.

After our food it was then time for the race. It was a great race to watch, the silence and suspense... I felt like I really was at Flemington!

The race ended up with fiorente taking the top spot. Unfortunately I didn't win any money! I definitely did not have beginners luck!!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My name is Collette Green and I am a 24 Geography Graduate from England. My boyfriend (Marcus) and I recently took a year out to visit and explore Australia. Although a little late this blog will consist of all our experience. Make sure to check-up and follow our adventure down under!